Roger

"habbi" wrote in message
Last year I installed new ceramic tiles in the bathroom with a new steel
tub. I left a 3/8" gab between the tub and the tile and filled it with
grout
that matches all the other grout lines of the floor. It looks very nice
for
a few months but has now cracked because the tub flex just a hair when you
get in and out. What should I do. I do not want to simply caulk over it
because it would look stupid and I am sure it would peel. I was thinking
of
chipping it out and cleaning it and then caulking it but I think a 3/8"
gap
is too wide to fill with caulk. What should I do and how should I have
done
it in the first place. Is there any additives that would have strengthened
or made flexible the grout. Thanks

As the other poster noted, you should have left 1/8 inch gap, then filled it
with silicone adhesive bathroom caulk, matched to the tub or grout color.
True grout is meant for joining ridgid tiles only, and is very poor as a
tub/tile boundary seal. Somehow you've got to chip out the grout, and
replace it with flexible silicone caulk. Perhaps you could chip out all the
grout, then insert a 1/8 inch rubber/plastic strip on the tub, let set, then
later silicone the gap left where you removed the strip.