igor

On 21 Jan 2005 10:14:40 -0800, "abaker" wrote:

Hi

As a very novice DIY person I want to build a very simple platform bed,
and am struggling to find any advice online for something so simple.

My ultimate aim is to have a frame with four chunky, square legs
(around 15cm square). Mounted on these would be the 4 pieces of the
outer frame (2 running length, 2 running width).

So to my questions: in order to support a king size mattress, is any
wood suitable (strong enough) to simply lay on this outer frame, or
would slats be more appropriate. If so, would be it ok just to fix
these to the top of the outer frame, and what thickness wood should I
use? Should I consider anything running down the middle of the bed
(length or width) in order to add extra support to the slats?

I made a platform bed of which I am rather proud. Had been conjuring it up
for many years. It looks like it is floating, as the legs are inset about
12" all around. Also, it is built a bit high so that I can fall out of bed
and right onto my feet. I don't have any photos available. But, some
relevant points, perhaps:

- The bed is king-sized. Mattress only.
- I used 3/4" ply as the platform. There are two sheets. I left a slight
gap between them so that any (even slight) movement would not cause a
squeak. (Past experience.) If I had used a wood edging (see below) I would
have also used biscuits (even if dry) and would not have left the gap.
- There are two (basically) 2x4s on their side running the length of the
bed about 12" in from the sides and from the head to about 12" in from the
foot.
- There are 3 2x4's running at the head, about mid-way (where two sheets of
ply meet), and about 12" in from the foot.
- The platform extends about 12" beyond the end of the mattress to create a
floating "bench".
- Legs are 2x8s with 3.5" wide, about 1/2" deep rabbets to match up with
the 2x4s of the "frame".
- I made the bed before I had my current collection of tools (e.g., biscuit
joiner, TS, kreg jig), so I finished the exposed areas with cloth over
padding. The bench has about 1" foam and for the edges all around I used
foam pipe insulation. Some manly fabric and a staple gun gave it a
tailored look, IMO. (No "H".) The bed frame structure is solid and while
there is some give in the ply because of the inset frame (i.e., where it
hangs over), the give is as I had expected -- gentle. (I weigh 200lb.)
If nothing else, no more stubbed toes! HTH. -- Igor