F. George McDuffee

Technical name is Hirth coupling or "face gear".
for the "high priced spread" see
http://www.transconn.com/components/hirth/index.htm
http://www.exactmachinery.com/9HIRTH_cfm.htm
and about 6,700 more places.

I came first came across one of these when I worked on an old
German motorcycle with a multi piece crankshaft.

Must be a nightmare to machine.

GmcD

On 21 Jan 2005 10:52:03 -0800, "Ronnie"
wrote:
snip
Hence the need for a "rosette" joint.
I may be calling this thing the wrong name, so let me explain: What I'm
looking for is round, somewhere near 2-3" in diameter, is a two piece
design and is held together by a bolt through the center, kinda like
bolting two cookies together. Remove the bolt, separate the two halves
and you see what look like "saw" teeth, that mate up with each other
when bolted together. You loosen the bolt and "ratchet" the thing
around to where you need it, then tighten the bolt. You see these on
adjustable handlebars for motorcycles, some types of adjustable ladders
and scaffolding...things that bear a lot of weight but need to swivel.

snip