T i m

On 21 Jan 2005 09:50:40 -0800, "Jerry G."
wrote:

This can be anything that you did. You may have bridged some traces or
connections,

Possible but I doubt it.. I was 'old school' BT trained and I've never
had a joint fail yet ;-)

or didn't properly solder some of them.

Again, not impossible .. ;-)

If you made any
bridged connnections or created a critical opened connection, there is
a chance that some other components have been damaged.

Indeed, I did do a visual after soldering and didn't touch any of the
finer joints (previous experience tells me it's *more likely* to be
one of the bigger / tin legged / PSU componets if it's a mechanically
intermittent fault?

If you are not experienced at TV servicing, your best bet would have to
bring the set in to a service center to have it serviced in the first
place.

With hindsight maybe. However I have been soldering things for over 35
years and have fixed many a fault with a simple 'investigation'?
However I'm *not* a TV engineer, (my service work was mainly Datacomms
/ Microfilming kit + 100's of 'projects') but was quoted a potential
repair cost of 80 GBP (by the guy who gave it to me), something I
don't have available at the moment? ;-(

The repair may have not been too expensive to start with.

I believe it would of cost me 25 pounds to get someone to even look at
it and it's not a small thing to cart about! ;-(

I have managed to keep my little 18" Sony Trinitron set going for (we
think) 16 years. I've changed the power switch a couple of times, the
HT transformer thing once (HT arching) and a cap that was causing the
teletext to superimpose over the std picture all the time. I used to
ring my TV repair mate and describe the fault, he would tell me what
to change (often from my own parts stock) and drop the bits in if to
me they were 'special', for me to fit.

I was advised to 'just resolder some of the components around the PSU'
and that's what I did. Is it possible that my resoldering may have
allowed an already broken component leg (like on a voltage reg) to
fall away / disconnect further?

All the best and thanks Jerry ..

T i m

p.s. I'm just about to replace a plastic drive worm on my Panasonic
video (again) and recently fixed a mates Sony surround sound system
(dry joint on the speaker output socket). Our washing machine has
stopped tripping the RCD now I've blown the carbon dust out of the
motor with my garage mate's airline (fingers crossed on that one) ;-)