Steve

I'm a little confused by your post. Doesn't S2S normally mean that the
two flat surfaces are planed smooth (relatively, anyway), and the edges
are left rough? If that's the case, then just cut the rough edge off in
your table saw. I don't understand why you need smooth edges if you're
gonna cut to width anyway.

--Steve

wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am planning a one-time project that will use Spanish Cedar, which so
far I can only obtain rough-cut, or S2S for an additional 15 cents/bf.
FWIW, the raw stock available is 4/4 in widths 6 - 8" and 10 - 12 foot
lenghts. The finished dimensions of the pieces I'll need a

widths of 2 - 4"
thickness around 7/8"
lengths of 12 - 24"

I rarely work with hardwoods, and since this is a one time project, I
don't want to buy a jointer/planer, and even if I did, I'm not skilled
in the use of these tools.

Ideally, I would like to simply buy S4S. I have some flexibility in the
thickness, and I have a table saw so ripping to the correct width is
not a problem. The problem is finding a source, preferably local
(Dallas area) but I'm willing to go online. Everything I've found so
far is S2S. Surely I'm not the first person in this situation. What
does everyone do?

My best idea so far is to get the S2S stock, and joint it (is that the
correct term ?) on the table saw or radial arm saw using the long fence
set-up that has previously been discussed here.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tom