Roger Shoaf

"Ignoramus1606" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:49:42 -0800, Roger Shoaf

wrote:

"Ignoramus1606" wrote in message
I am soundproofing my genset. I built a little 1/2" doghouse, mounted
on the generator carriage. I am going to install lead lining inside,
using 1mm thick 2.5 lbs per square foot lead sheet. The weight of all
this lead is going to be approximately 100 lbs.

My question is, is "roofing lead" as good as "soundproofing
lead". Perhaps the alloy composition is different and it might impact
sound transmission characteristics? Any thoughts?

It is overkill, but it will work just fine. Usually the soundproofing

lead
is 1/64 thick and about 1lb. per Sq.Ft.

Thank you. When you say overkill, in what sense is it an overkill? In
terms of benefit per weight of lead shielding added? Am I not going to
get better soundproofing from 2.5 times thicker lead?

Sure it will be a little better, but only a little bit. The thin stuff will
reduce the noise to near zero. The thicker stuff might be available in
smaller quantities however so that might be it's biggest point.
--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.