Stefek Zaba

Martin Crook wrote:

....................... DO use a bathroom fan isolator (and position
it out of reach of anyone using, incl. standing in, the bath/shower).

Can the isolator be in the loft above the ceiling ( ie next to the fan)?

Strictly speaking, no: as a motor isolator, it's supposed to be
accessible and if not within ready control of whoever's working on the
dreadfully dangereous arm-chopping motor, able to be locked off.

Still, 'strict' conformance should (in my way of thinking) be weighed
against rationality. If something really is a serious limb- or
life-endangering fixed motor, and needs frequent mechanical maintenance
(blade-changing, filter-changing, whatever) I'd do my nut if it wasn't
reliably isolatable. But for a domestic bathroom fan, especially if the
loft's accessible (fixed loft ladder, light, and boards), I can't see it
being seriously, dangerously wrong to fit the isolator above the
ceiling, especially if you can put a little label in/near the visible
part of the fan in the bathroom to describe the isolator's location.

Now waiting for the wrath of NICEIC to descend...

Stefek