Rob Mitchell

Default Drill press chuck problem

I have inherited a 30 yr old (but high quality) drill press. I am
repairing some of the easy things, like the belt and the motor mount.
However, the chuck galls, and comes off if the press is heavily loaded,
and I'm using a 'stepped' bit (which cuts big holes in aluminum and
sheet metal. There is no obvious wear on the inside of the chuck or the
arbor.

Does anyone have a pointer to drill press repair? Should I replace the
chuck, and/or the arbor? I guess that the arbor has a taper and the
chuck just seems to be friction fit onto it. Are there special tools
that are needed to attach the chuck? I have tried tapping it with a mallet.

Thanks
Rob