Glenn Ashmore

I created a little "marine service company" so I could buy direct from
several distributors. Bought direct from Soundown http://www.soundown.com/.
They are the best but a bit pricy as they work primarily in the marine
market. They do have a couple of manuals on line with lots of technical
information.

A more industrial oriented site is http://www.soundprooffoam.com/. They
have a 1" thick 1 lb/ft barrrier on line price about $115 for a 4x8 sheet.
It comes rolled so it can ship UPS. Not quite as effective as Soundown but
about the same price as you were planning to spend for lead.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Ignoramus1606" wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 23:58:24 -0500, Glenn Ashmore

wrote:
I am using SoundDown in my engine room. It and Whispermat are the

standard
sound insulation for marine engine compartments. Panda, Onan and other
genset makers use it in their cabinets. Basicly they are 1/2 to 3/4" of

PVC
acustical foam either side of a 1 lb/ft lead filled vinyl sheet. It is
appiled with spray on adhesive and welded or epoxied spikes and caps.

Are you talking about "Barrier Composite Insulation" or some other
type of insulation. They have a lot of choices. What was the retailer
whom you used?

The general recomendation is to design baffel boxes so that the air has

make at least one 180 turn so there is no direct path and the baffel

should
be lined with the acustical barrier. Being cooled by a seawater heat
exchanger my diesel doesn't need quite that much vent area but here is

an
example. The 28"wide x 6"high vent is on the back wall of the engine
compartment. The baffel box is 30"D x 8"H x18"D. It is oversize

because
the first chamber is lined with 1.25" sound barrier. (I hope this comes

out
in fixed width font.)

I got it. Thanks.

| |