Bob Mannix

Default washing machine "grindng" noise

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Martin wrote:
i have a 18-month old Hotpoint Aquarius (WMA36). Until recently it was
reasonably quiet, but during the spin it now has become very noisy. It

now
makes quite a loud "grinding" noise when it spins - a sort of

metal-on-metal
noise. Also, when you rotate the drum manually i can hear a sort of
"rachet/clicking" noise as the drum turns.

Anyone got any thoughts as to what it is likely to be? Dodgy bearings,
brushes, motor..???

Damaged/missing commutator segment on the motor?

At the risk of sounding obvious, the only time that this happened to me was
when a nail fell out of a pocket and went through one of the drum drain
holes and jammed there scraping on the outer drum. The same effect can be
got from coins, bra wires or other hardware. You may have to remove the seal
and look with a torch, but I would check this before dismantling more of the
machine!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)