Franc Zabkar

On 19 Jan 2005 12:33:33 -0800, "birdman" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Would like a computer power supply for other purposes without a
motherboard connected. Either AT or ATX? Has anyone done this? If so,
how?
Any help?

To power up an ATX PSU without a motherboard, short the PS_ON* pin to
ground.

See http://www.hardwarebook.net/connecto.../atxpower.html

If you intend to use a PC PSU to provide split rails for op-amps, etc,
then be aware that the -12V supply is often not regulated.

With some minor modifications you could convert a PC PSU into a 13.8V
supply for radio and car audio gear. I have also converted an AT P/S
into a high current 6V supply. The mods entail reprogramming the
voltage sense resistors and uprating the overvoltage detection
zener(s).

- Franc Zabkar