Guess who

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 20:07:33 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

On 20 Jan 2005 13:40:37 -0800, "
wrote:

I am buying alot of quartersawn white oak in the rough and I had a
question. I need to mill it in my Delta 12" planner but since both the
top and bottom are rough is there a proper way to ensure I have a flat
board when I finish milling it. The lumber does not have a smooth
surface on the bottom when I first put it into the planer but I want to
make sure that it remains flat as I mill it so when it it flipped over
to do the other side the board is flat or does it matter.
Thanks,
Mike

Sorry. I might have missed the original message. There was some
discussion on this a while back. If you can cut to length first, and
not too long, this might work. It was suggested by soemone else. I
tried it, and it worked like a charm:

Have a piece of 3/4" MDF that will let the board sit on it. Hold to
the best position by eye to lose the least waste. Shim into place,
and "spot-weld", or run a line with hot glue. Judge for yourself how
much to use. No need to overdo it though. Run through the planer
[note the spelling] a little at a time until one side is done.

The board and glue are readily removed from the MDF and the wood, and
the MDF is reuseable. Flip over to do the other side.