Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message

Educate me ... I am fast approaching that decision in about 7 months and
my
poor brain is too tired at the moment to figure it out.

This assumes you are not dependent on SS or do not need all of the SS check
to survive.

Lets assume you will draw $950 a month at age 62 and $1250 per month at age
66.
Basically you will be drawing $950 per month, 48 months earlier than if you
wait until age 66 to draw $1250. That equates out to $45,600 that SS will
pay you between the age of 62 and 66. You will continue to draw that amount
until you die.

If you wait until age 66 to start drawing you will get $300 more per month
but basically you will be $45,600 behind in payments compared to having
started receiving payments at age 62.

With these figures it will take 16 years and 4 months for the age 66 SS
payments to "about" equal the total amount paid out from the age 62 payment.

The age 66 SS payments total payout benefits start becoming better if you
live longer than 78 years and 3 months. Up until that age the $950 per
month for 16 years and 3 months is a greater amount, ($185,250.00) than
starting 4 years later at age 66 and getting 12 years and 3 months of
payments of $1250 per month., ($185,000).

That said, I know that your father has passed that age and you may very well
do that also. My father is 82 and in great health. But will SS be around
that long and or will you need as much income at age 79 as you will in those
years leading up to that age?

BTY I have a good friend/neighbor that I have known for about 24 years that
works for the SS office in SW Houston near Fondren and the SW Freeway. I
can ask her to keep an eye out for you if you would like.