Swingman

"toller" wrote in message ...

Hey toller, can you post a pic of your table over on ABPW?
--

My internet company doesn't do ABPW, but I already posted a picture of it

on
my website to show the person I am building it for.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~toller/table.jpg

Sorry to say it, but your design, as shown in the photo is probably not the
best for longevity.

Then again, it may last forever.

Next time consider using M&T joints for the "rail" (your "support") between
the legs, and attaching a "cleat" to the inside of the rail as the shelf
support. Then attach the shelf to the cleat with screws in oversize or
slotted holes.

Here is poor picture, but a much better way, but not the only one, to attach
a lower shelf between table legs:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/ShelfSupport.JPG

Be particularly wary of the advice you've received in this thread to
"ignore" cross grain situations ... it is simply wrong and misguided.

Hell, just ask to see some samples of their work before making up your mind
to rely on such advice.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04