carl mciver

| It would depend on the quality of the die, compared to the accuracy
| of re-aligning the stock for the later cut(s). I'd like to think
| that a good die is going to give you the quality you'd need?

Seems to me that if you used a die you would likely get good threads,
but if you pulled or pushed on the stock while it was passing through the
die you would gain or lose a thread or more over the length of the screw.
Again, it's a tolerance stackup, but over a long item it adds up to be a
whole bunch, especially on a lead screw.