Dev Null

"Tom Gardner" wrote in
om:

I have a situation that I need help with. I have a big bunch
(3k) of brushes that need better tuft retention for a special
application. The brushes are 7" long x 3-1/2" wide and have 50
holes/tufts in them. Each hole is 1/2" deep x 9/32" dia. and
each tuft is 3 flat wires bent 180 deg, and stapled into the
hole with a 18 ga., 1/4" crown x 1/2" leg staple. I am thinking
of injecting glue of some kind into the hole with the wire.
These brushes are already made. If I can inject glue or epoxy
into the holes, the material will have to be able to withstand
the brushing action and not crumble or pop out. I wonder if
carpenter's glue would work. I'm looking for leads for some
type of powered dispenser too. My budget needs to be under a
buck apiece including labor.

Apparently, the action of the brush in this application is way
different than normal. They use the brushes in a linear motion
that is parallel to the staples. They use the sides of the flat
wire to break spoo up rather than the face of the flat wire to
"sweep" like a normal use. This action has a tendency to rock
the staples out even though the tuft retention is over 40 pounds
pull-out strength. (Where's that Unabtaniun when I need it!)

Pack brushes tightly into a square, bristles up. Tightly wrap some
metal strip around the square. The top of the metal strip should
be just slightly higher than the wood body of the brush. Pour
adhesive on brushes.

Something cheap would be fiberglass resin.