AndyM

Default Wet roof battens

Good evening,

Our 1950s roof, tiled with flat terracotta tiles, faces the prevaling wind here
in not so sunny St Annes. I accidentally ripped the felt and found the batten
directly over the rip was wet through and quite soft. Looking more closely,
some of the roof trusses also show signs of water as they have a slight white
'tide mark' up to an inch from the felt.

I guess the wet batten is a symptom of rain windblown up the roof but should
the rain get through to the trusses?

Q1. Is this generally a problem or should I wait till summer to see if it dries
out?

Q2. Is the 'tidemark' likely to be fungal or disolved minerals?

thanks again

AndyM