George

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Thanks for posting that link toller. It's much easier to consider these
things with the visual. I would not worry about the cross grain condition
presented by the shelf supports on the ends of the table. Remember that

the
movement numbers you see in the charts are for unconstrained wood and you
have wood that is constrained by the assembly. Look at the table in your
kitchen for example - it has this very same construction. Look at styles
and rails in a typical face frame construction - same thing. Cross grain
construction does not make an absolute problem condition.

--

The movement numbers are for expansion and contraction of wood fiber with
changes in RH. If they compress against frame members and blow them apart -

Since it's easily prevented, it seems almost ridiculous not to anticipate
and allow. As I said earlier, that's what woodworking is about - the wood.