mac davis

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:51:24 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

You retired at 40? Not for physical reasons I hope. I keep looking at my
ss
statement from da gubmint and they keep telling
me how much I'll make if I work til 70... Damn

Very fortunately in good health.
The SS statement is designed to sell you on waiting longer. Keep in mind
that you will be 8 years of payments ahead of the game if you start at 62.
IIRC odds are that if you die at the age that average person dies at you
will get more money if you start at 62 with a lesser amount than the 70
amount. Now that is looking at it from a perspective of some one that can
do with out SS.

yeah, I just finished that calculation myself..

If I bet against myself and wait until 65, I'll get about $300 a month
more than if I take it at 62 (4 more years)...

In return for waiting another 3 years and getting more bucks, I'm
loaning SS $3,600 interest free in order to get $300 more a month
later... not what I see as a good investment OR a good bet..
I'll take it at 62..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing