Default Over-the-Range Microwave Oven

Hi,
Is installing an electrical socket in the cabinet above the range a DIY
or should I engage an electrician? My existing GE hood is has wiring
and is not plugged in but the over-the-range microwave I bought has a
plug.
Thanks
Trekker

Roy Smith wrote:
wrote:
I'm thinking of buying an over-the-range microwave oven, the kind

that
has exhaust fan built-in. I went to the local Sear store and they

said
they charge $109 for installation. That's quite pricy for a $400
appliance. Does anyone have experience installing them? Is it
something that you can do it yourself?

I've installed a GE over-the-range microwave. It really was quite
straight-forward. There is a backplate which you attach to the wall

with
whatever combination of lag bolts, screws, expansion bolts, etc you

can
get to work (i.e. wherever you can find studs, etc). It comes with a
template to make this easy. The rear-bottom edge of the oven then

clips
onto the backplate to form a kind of hinge, and you pivot the oven up

into
place. There are two long bolts that run the depth of the oven near

the
top which you use to complete the attachment of the oven to the
backplate. You then bolt it into the cabinet above it for additional
security.

It's much easier than the above makes it sound. Most of it can be

done
with one person and common household tools. I assume other brands

have
similar mounting arrangements.