Shawn D'Alimonte

birdman wrote:
Would like a computer power supply for other purposes without a
motherboard connected. Either AT or ATX? Has anyone done this? If so,
how?
Any help?

I use an AT supply for a bench supply. I removed all of the PC cables
except one drive power lead. Then I mounted binding posts, a switch and
an LED on the front panel.

A few words of warning:
- Discharge the main filter cap before working on the board. It can
hold a charge and shock you
- Insulate well. AT supplies have a line voltage switch. Keep your
wires far away from line wires. Pick a switch rated for the right
voltage/current.
- The 5V and 12V lines can supply a large current. They can melt thin
wires. This is another reason to insulate well.
- Some supplies need a load on the 5V and maybe 12V output to work
properly. Use resistors or a tail-light bulb.
- There are a lot of cheap supplies out there that are poorly
engineered. Current limiters may not work well. I accidentally shorted
the -12V output of my first one and blew out every semiconductor from
the output to the line.
- 'Power Good' is an OUTPUT. It goes (TTL?) high when there is power.
Use it to drive an LED or leave it unconnected.
- Check the fan while you have it apart. On old supplies it probably
needs oiling or replacing.

You can see a picture at of the one I built at
http://shawnd.dyndns.org/photos/Power_Supply.jpg