John McCoy

(ToolMiser) wrote in
:

I have come to the conclusion that I am missing a bunch of your
fine
postings. The number (AOL says I have and the actual) differ, and
I've contacted their support a couple of times, but it still doesn't
ad up. It is time to access it through a different provider, who is
your favorite.

For a quick check, you can look in Google Groups...comparing what's
present there with what AOL shows will let you know if you're really
missing anything (for various reasons the numbers shown by readers
and servers can get out of whack, so you may not be missing anything).
If there are missing articles, you can probably get the message IDs
from Google, and ask AOL support where they went (message IDs are
unique for each article). Note that the "new" version of Google
Groups is a disaster & all but useless, so you might want to try
google.ca or google.co.uk to access Google Groups.

If you do want to move on to a different server, you've basically
got two choices: if all you want is rec.ww, or rec.ww and some
other text groups, go with news.individual.net. It's free, it's
about the best run server on Usenet, there's no reason to go anywhere
else. If, on the otherhand, you also want binary groups (either
to get a.b.p.w or to get pr0n), you pretty much have to pay. The
best of the pay services is Supernews (they take a strict line on
trolls, spam, etc). Newsguy, Giganews, EasyNews, and UsenetServer
also get more-or-less good reviews.

John