DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Harold & Susan Vordos wrote:

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
snip-

With all the mention of keyseat cutters in horizontal mills, I
don't see (yet) any mention of plain milling cutters for keyseats. They
work very nicely for the task, if you can accept the longer radius at

[ ... ]

Not only nicely, but fast. Ever run something like a #3 K&T mill running a
side cutter in steel? Almost a frightening experience.

My experience has been limited to my Nichols horizontal mill, a
#40 NMTB taper in the spindle, and a choice of lever feed (rack and
pinion) or leadscrew feed. For a lot of things on that machine,
including cutting keyways, I prefer the lever feed option. It lets me
apply feed until the machine sounds unhappy, and then back off -- except
that so far, I have not had the nerve to push it hard enough for it to
sound unhappy. It just keeps cutting. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564