Duane Bozarth

JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk wrote:

I'm located in Tennessee, and just got a call from one of those lawn
spraying services, True Green chem lawn.
Just curious if anyone else has any opinions about whether or not those
services are worth while or not.
my lawn is quite weedy and the neighbors is not, ( he did have the service
last year,) but, I've just moved here, so I don't know more of the history
of the lawn.
Thanks for any info.

Which part of TN...since the state's 500 mi across, what's good for for
E TN (where I was for 25 yr) isn't necessarily good advice for either
middle or west TN.

In general, though, I think the only real reason for the services is if
you're either unable or unwilling to do a little effort on your own. It
rains enough in virtually all of TN that watering is rarely if ever
needed although things may turn a little brown for a while in
July/August if it goes a little longer than normal. You will need to
control weeds and probably crabgrass. Depending on where you are and
the quality of the soil in your particular area, you may or may not need
to fertilize much, if at all. I never fertilized the whole time, but
did need lime to help the pH.

Best source for info is your local county agent and a knowledgeable
person at the local garden store (not the mass-market department type).
They'll know the specifics for the area.