ameijers

"frank1492" wrote in message
Thanks all for your really wonderful ideas. I am saving all

(snip)
Here's what I did. The bolt was used to hold two
impellers, with fairly heavy plastic hubs. So I threaded the
stub, got a piece of brass, went to my old Atlas metal lathe,
and made a small "cap" bolt with internal threads that I screwed
onto the stub. (What's the correct term for this item? Anybody
know?) I then drilled the impeller holes slightly larger to fit
around the internally threaded "cap". (Could do this perfectly
as the impellers could be chucked in the lathe.) Sawed a
slot in the end of the cap for tightening.
This all took a couple of hours, but it came out very well
and my blood pressure was kept in check.
BTW all bolts have been well-coated with Permatex 2
before insertion this time.
I feel a bit guilty that you guys spent so much time with
your great suggestions, then I end up using none of them.
I just didn't want to take any chances!
I'm sure many others will profit from your great ideas.
Thanks again.
Frank

Chuckle- you sound like my brother, who also keeps an old lathe out in the
garage. He'll spend hours making a part, just to see if he can, before he
will buy one. Hey, it's cheaper than a shrink, and probably better therapy.
:^)

aem sends...