al

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
It's actually not too bad. You can add additional joists at right
angles to the existing ones, for example, and add extra insulation
between them.

It's not a bad idea, but it's still a lot of timber, sawing, drilling,
screwing, swearing, injuring ....

One last point on roof felt. My roof is the original 1930's one and the
tiles sit on the roof frame with no felt. The loft therefore gets very
dirty. One option I've seen is this spray-on stuff that guys come around
and do for about £200 I think.

This is a really bad idea because it is associated with people bodging
roofs that really should be stripped and redone. The problem is that
if the roof leaks for some reason, then water is trapped and rots the
timbers. More than likely the roof of a 1930s house is still
reasonably good, so you probably wouldn't do it for repair reasons.
Nevertheless, there is a high risk that potential buyers or their
surveyors would look and walk away.

You could be right there. It also strikes me as being perhaps difficult if
you needed to replace a tile after it. The timber is still in excellent
condition thankfully, but some of the tiles are a little shakey.

Another cheaper option I was thinking of was
perhaps stapling strips of rood felt to the roof timbers. Any
suggestions?

Sheet polythene might be better, but do leave ventilation around the
eaves at least.

Wouldn't polythene be more likely to condense water and "leak" it through
the edges of the ceiling near the eves (hot air rising to meet freezing cold
air near the tiles)? I was originally thinking of long strips between the
beams all the way along rather than just nailing up sheets like a soft
ceiling. I know it won't do a great deal for insulation, I'm really just
looking to keep the place reasonably clean and slightly less damp.