CW

"Backfire" , like "it just went off" is reporter speak meaning "we really
have no idea what we are talking about".

"Upscale" wrote in message

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message

This is the second or third time I've seen 'backfiring' mentioned. Does
this mean the nail fired out of other than the head of the nailgun, or
what?

I assumed it meant that the gun appeared to fire normally, but he didn't

see
a nail emerge, so he just figured it was a faulty discharge. I can't
envision a nail coming out backwards, at least not on my nailgun. Shoot
forwards and ricochet, yes, but that's about it.