That's what I did originally, when I only had a shop vac. Built a
router table (enclosed) with enough room underneath to house the shop
vac, with pvc pipes to the router and an extra to the cabinet for table
saw, etc. Lined the Melamine cabinet with sound board (compressed
fiber) available at Loews for 4-5 bucks an 8x10 sheet. Reduced noise
markedly, but not enough airflow for the new planer, thus the dust
collector. Still use the vac for cleanup after a turning session, it
WILL pick up anything near the nozzle, including small tools and
hardware!