George

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have had a Jet portable for 2 years, it's a 1 1/2 horsepower one that
sits on top of a 33 gal. trash can, so has a small footprint ideal for
my one-car size shop. Works very well, about half the noise of my shop
vac, about twice the pickup power when planing with my portable planer.
If you are planning to catch all your turning chips, you will need a
hood collector, it's difficult to capture the chips since they usually
fly off the piece toward the operator. Captures dust during sanding
just fine, using a 5" flex "duct" designed for dryers placed near the
piece.

I've got the ancestor of that Jet, a Delta 3/4, and it's the berries for a
small shop. It handles a 13" planer fairly well, as long as the knives are a
bit dull. If they're sharp and the piece wide, the long shavings wedge in
any curve in the pipe.

Which is why I say the Monica of dust collectors won't handle the shavings
at the lathe. My answer is to cut so the chips don't fly, but fall,
catching them in a big bag.
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeor...ugh%20Page.htm Doesn't even
work well as a vacuum when you've got the big rats nest of curly shavings
that collect when you're finish turning, though it handles dust nicely with
the opening behind and beneath the ways.