SQLit

"HorneTD" wrote in message
ink.net...
Jim M wrote:
Hello,

I want to install a Garburator (food disposer) in our Kitchen. The
problem I am having is routing the power wire. I have a 110 volt plug

above
the kitchen counter under the kitchen cabnets aproximately 5 feet away

from
the sink where I want to get the 110 volt power to energize the

disposer. I
obviously have studs in the way if I were to route the wire straight

across
inside the wall and don't want to remud walls etc....
Since the kitchen cabnets are over the plug AND where I want to

put
the switch. I am considering routing the wire directly up inside the

wall
and poke the wire out directly above the cabnets, then run the wire down

the
cabnet to the stud where the switch will be.....then poke the wire back
inside the wall and fish down to the new switch box where I will mount

the
switch. Running a wire on top of the cabnets will be totally invisible
unless your 8 feet tall......The rest is easy...just run the wire down

and
come in under the sink.

My question is: Is this common practice? Or is this a Hokey fix?
Thanks....Jim

It is a violation of the electrical code in most places to use the
circuits that supply counter top receptacles to supply any other load.

It is not a violation to power both a dishwasher and the food waste
disposer from the same circuit but you may not be able to run both at
once.

Depends on the code being enforced. The 2005 around here requires that the
garbage and dishwasher be on separate CB's and not with anything else.
Before the 2005 code the disposal and dishwasher was accepted on the same
circuit but it was a exception locally.
Better check locally to be sure.