Andy Dingley

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 05:13:15 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

Okay, question about lekturcity here... Could I use a standard incin..
incandces... encand.... oh hell... light bulb dimmer switch as a variable
speed switch for a router.

This is a common enough approach, but it's more useful for drills than
for routers. Many routers now use up to 2000W, which is considerably
more than a light dimmer can handle. The biggest low-cost light
dimmers I know of are about 500W max.

Routers with built-in speed controls usually have soft-start and may
have feedback control of speed, both of which are an advantage worth
having.

So for a small router, and a big light dimmer, then I _might_ go for
it, if it as my only option. But it's not something I'd particularly
recommend.

As to the inductive load business, then I wouldn't worry additionally.
It won't stop it working, just de-rate the maximum capacity -- and
you're already having to worry about that.
--
Smert' spamionam