I have had a Jet portable for 2 years, it's a 1 1/2 horsepower one that
sits on top of a 33 gal. trash can, so has a small footprint ideal for
my one-car size shop. Works very well, about half the noise of my shop
vac, about twice the pickup power when planing with my portable planer.
If you are planning to catch all your turning chips, you will need a
hood collector, it's difficult to capture the chips since they usually
fly off the piece toward the operator. Captures dust during sanding
just fine, using a 5" flex "duct" designed for dryers placed near the
piece.