T i m

Default Garage supply and new meter?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:36:02 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

Ok another Yes / No for ya.

Do I have to have a double pole isolator at the house end of the
garage SWA or would a house MCB or 30 mA d/p RCD or finally the std
d/p incomer (or 100mA RCD if I get round to it) be sufficient?

It would require its own DP isolator. You could use a DP RCD, or a DP
switch, or a DP switchfuse.. Again, the choice is yours.

Ok (and thanks again mate) you don't mention a DP MCB with inrt house
CU in there? Do they make such a thing and would that work if I went
that way (I'm trying to think how it would fit within the CU (having a
neutral to switch as well ?)

What I'm trying to achieve here is the best safest cover without
nusiance trips from the garage taking the house out and at the best
price? (Not that I've even blown a fuse or tripped the house RCD in
the last 10 years on my unofficial semi permenant extension lead to
garage solution ;-) (exept when I cranked the SIP up too high one day
g)

If you do as you mentioned earlier, fitting a new RCD to feed the
garage by the meter, then it's totally seperate from the house and no
chance of nuisance tripping in the house.

So, a DP isolator is a must but an RCD isnt.

What I might do is nick a spare MCB out of the MK Sentry storage rad
CU and see how the terminals / fit is in Dads Clipsal Garage CU
tomorrow.

All the best ..

T i m ;-)