T i m

Default Garage supply and new meter?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:17:21 GMT, (Lurch)
wrote:

I personally
would buy a new unit for the garage if you really want split load down
there for the price difference. Get a standard CU with main switch,
MCB's for 100mA circuits and RCBO's for 30mA circuits.

Where has the 100mA RCD come in then? Also RCBO's are still about 25
quid more expensive than an MCB (aren't they?) and about the same
price as the cheap garage CU?

You mentioned in your OP. I was assuming it was because you had TT.

I've got it! Buy a cheap garage RCD CU and strip it. Replace the
contents with a single 100mA RCD and use it as the isolator to the
garage at the house end. Put the parts stripped out of the cheapo
garage CU in the nice metal MK unit down the garage! Electric Lego!
So, who would make a 100mA RCD to go in a Clipsil CU (and where would
I get it from cheap?)

Could do that. Any din rail mounted RCD will mount in the Clipsal
enclosure.

Sorry, I've forgotten, what are your earthing arrangements? Are you
TT, TN-C-S...?

At the moment my (very old) supply provides the earth from the armour
on the SWA from the supplier (plus other bonding to services etc). I
haven't decided what to do down the garage yet but I can decide that
nearer the time can't I ? (crudely, the 'difference' being the
continuity of the house / garage earth + an earthing rod?)

It also means the additional cost of a 100mA RCD and earth rod.

18 mm wide module.

That is 17.5mm actually! Measure more carefully next time ;-)

Not bad with a ruler tho eh ;-)

Not bad, but not up to engineering standards!

I found the dimensions / spec for the current range of MK Sentry units

http://tinyurl.com/2csu2

That looks the same size / format for my old blanking module?

Possibly compatible with something, I've got 2 big boxes full of MCB's
etc... so I can usually find something to fit. Failing that, take one
of the old MCB's round a few wholesalers and check what they've got
and what will fit. Most importantly is the 'internal dimensions'. By
that the din rail slot in relation to the front of the MCB and the
alignment of the busbar connection.

So, I think you were suggesting previously I fit one of these ..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK6180.html

Can't check the busbar though.

61.70 +vat though! (I could fit that later though couldn't I)

Instead of the incommer on my main CU then just stick a garage (RCD)
CU or std switched CU with MCB's (lights) and 30mA RCBo's (power) in
the garage.

Can I confirm .. the SWA to the garage HAS to be protected by a RCD or
not?

All the best ..

T i m