Old Nick

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:44:01 -0600, "Tim Williams"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"Old Nick" wrote in message
.. .
It does not matter that "all
that body wants to do is travel in a straight line. For every action
there is an equal and opposite reacion. So what is the name of the
force that opposes centripital force?

Oh, but it does. The weight need not move relative to the string, that is,
change its radial position (mind the difference between angular and
orthogonal perspectives!!), for there to always be a constant force on the
weight, transferred through the string, to the axis.

??????

Anyway. There is also a force acting on the axis. What is that force
called?

As for centrifugal force, this is an imagined force and is a person's
perspective of what is, in reality, their applying the very centrifical
force which is accelerating them in the curve. When you go around a curve,
you have to push into the car door -- this push (along with shear force on
the seat, etc.) keeps you in the same relative position inside the car as
the car makes the turn.

You winding me up? I hope so. You are using a term that should not
exist in order to explain why a word that does exist is not a force?

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-cen1.htm

Those versed in Newtonian mechanics will of course say at once that
centrifugal force doesn’t actually exist, but is a virtual force based
on our subjective sensory experiences — it’s really inertia trying to
keep a body moving in a straight line. But leaving the physics aside,
the term centrifugal certainly exists. But until you mentioned it, I’d
not to my knowledge ever come across centrifical and would at once
have marked it as the error it is. But it’s surprisingly common.