Bill Jeffrey

Pep Boys is having a sale on those emergency car jump starters. The one
I bought (bought 3, actually) contains a 9 amp-hour sealed AGM battery,
and includes a wall-wart AC charger. For $20 each, it is hard to go wrong.

By the way, I concur with the suggestion to put the battery in a plastic
dishpan, and I would also sprinkle a box of baking soda into the pan.
Not only will it neutralize any small amount of acid that leaks, but the
fizzing will alert you to the leak.

Bill Jeffrey
-------------------------

Jerry G. wrote:
Put the battery in a plastic type of pan, in case there is any acid
spillage. You can then put the rest of the battery in a wooden box if you
like. Tack care that it can vent, because all these lead acid batteries give
off some hydrogen, along with acid fumes.

For safety sake, I am not keen on using auto and boat type batteries in the
house. I prefer to have them in the garage, or where they can vent to the
outdoors.

For in the home, I am using gel cells when I want a close performance to
lead acid batteries. These have to be vented for safety issues, but they
will not give off any acid fumes. They are extremely clean running compared
to the type of lead acid battery that is used on boats, and automobiles.

For my radio setup, I am using a 12 Volt,12 A/Hr gel cell. Connected to it,
I have a high quality auto charger that is always keeping it topped up. The
battery lasts about 3 to 4 years on the average. I am on the third battery
now.