Lurch

Default Garage supply and new meter?

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 14:47:37 +0000, in uk.d-i-y T i m
strung together this:

1) We currently have a dual rate meter (E7 or similar) with a clock /
switch feeding a second CU running the storage rads. Will we get a new
dual rate meter controlled by radio and if so how will they deal with
the external switch for the E7?

Probably remove it and use the one built into the new meter.

2) While he is there doing the meter swap, would it be a 'good idea'
to fit some sort of isolator / RCD ready for the pending feed to the
garage. If I had the 'box' fitted nearby with a pair of suitable tails
'a dangling' would he / she be willing / able / allowed to hook it in
for me?

Most probably, but not a definite goer though. Depends who you get.

3) If they take away the 'switch' part of the E7 service (can they do
that?) I would be forced to add my own time-switches to each storage
rad. Would they supply them to me foc?

Extremely doubtful.

4) The CU for the storage rads is a nice MK Sentry 9 way (7 modules
and 1 x 2 wide incommer) steel unit with only 2 ways in use (was 3).
Maybe I could replace that with a smaller unit and fit the garage
'box' beside it. I could even possibly use the 9 way unit down the
garage as a split CU (Sw lights MCB, Lathe MCB, RCD, std ring Power
MCB etc?) Am I likely to get bus bars / modules to suit this if I cut
it down? Am I right that the SWA should to be 'protected' by an RCD
(and that's where I would use a 100mA unit with a 30mA at the garage
end? Is it likely I could fit the contents of a cheap plastic Clipsil
garage CU into the MK box?)

Possible, depends how much time and patience you've got. I personally
would buy a new unit for the garage if you really want split load down
there for the price difference. Get a standard CU with main switch,
MCB's for 100mA circuits and RCBO's for 30mA circuits.

So I would end up with ..

Sorry, I've forgotten, what are your earthing arrangements? Are you
TT, TN-C-S...?

Main split CU for the house (with existing 30ma RCD / MCB's)
Sub CU (no RCB etc for the storage rads / E7 cct)
Garage 'd/p Switch protection box' (with single 100 mA RCD as switch)

18 mm wide module.

That is 17.5mm actually! Measure more carefully next time ;-)
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.