Don Foreman

On 17 Jan 2005 15:16:58 -0800, "Mike Brophy"
wrote:

I'm interested in creating some basic shapes out of acrylic but don't
want to cut acrylic sheets or order custom cuts from manufacturers.

My shape is basically 0.75" thick x 2.50" long x 3.00" wide.

I need to create alot of these quickly and inexpensively.

Are there at home acrylic polymer kits I could use or could I create my
own mold and buy off the shelf acrylic to create these?

I am a newcomer to plastics and don't know where I could buy acrylic
liquid and what I should buy, etc.

I don't know of a pourable acrylic. They do have clear plastic
molding stuff at hobby stores; I think it's polyester. Not too
expensive, but it shrinks quite a bit when it cures.

Check out
http://www.eagerplastics.com/4101.htm I haven't used this stuff, but
I've used other stuff that is probably similar.

Clear urethane is better, but it's pricey. I've had good luck with
Polytek products.
http://www.polytek.com/products/poly_optic.html

Their catalog is a good primer on making cast plastic objects.