Doug Kanter

"Alan" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
After being in the house for about 7 years, we decided to repaint. We
hired
a professional painter. Everything came out fine. A few months later,

the
paint in the smallest bathroom started to blister. We had used the best
paint available for bathrooms. Prior to repainting, there was no
blistering,
though the tape on some seams had started to peel a bit. The painter

came
back out, scraped off everything that was loose, reprimed and
repainted.

few months later- same problem. He came out again. This time, we

replaced
the exahust fan with a stronger fan and vented it to the eave. He

scraped,
primed, painted. This time we let the primer dry for a month (and no
blistering). He then painted, and we let it dry for a week before using
the
shower in that bathroom. A few months later- same problem. In each
case,
the
blistering occurred in the spring or fall, when the heat pump/ac was

least
active, so the air was not drying very quickly.

Anyway... What is the least expensive way to fix this problem?
Wallpaper
is
fine, if that will work. Our painter doesn't think it will, but I am
not
so
sure of his knowledge now. I don't know if the previous owners had used

an
oil-based (or other non-latex) paint prior. Oh, one other intersting
thing-
when he scraped the last time, in some areas the paint came off all the
way
down to the greeenboard. No mold or mildew, just blistering like crazy.

Did he use oil or latex, and which one for primer and finish paint?

Latex for both.

Hmm. Someone will disagree with me here based on their own luck using latex,
but personally, I would never use latex paint in a damp environment. You
could still have problems with oil paint if the prep work wasn't done right,
but barring that, oil will always hold up better. Do whatever you can to
assure perfect conditions such as temperature, even if it means you have to
wait till spring so you can open the windows & prevent damaging your brain
cells from the fumes.