On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 03:53:47 -0500,
(DaddyMonkey) wrote:

Thank you for reading my post.

I want to know if I should pull-up the entire sub-floor of my guest
bathroom.

My house is a 1982 tri-level (kit?). 50 foot x 25 foot. Most floor &
ceiling joist are 24" OC. The joist run the width of the house.

The guest bathroom (full bath) had a tile floor on a mortar bed, that I
removed.

The sub-floor that's under this tile floor is 1/2" plywood with some
sag on the outer ends and very springy between joists.
Is this normal after removing a mud-tile?

I ran a "stud-finder" along the floor, and
found that the joists are NOT 24" OC and more like 16"OC it a
hit-and-miss pattern... (guest bath is in center of the 3rd floor/
Master bath is on opposite wall of guest bath.) Is this ALSO normal?

~BUT~ my question IS ....
Should I set my circular-saw at just under 1/2 inch, and THEN replace
the entire floor.... or should I just add exterior-grade plywood over
the exisisting sub-floor?

For more information... the "basement" (1st floor) Den, 1/2 bath and
office are 8 foot ceiling, but the basement hallway is 7 foot.
(Bunch of duct-work, plumbing. ect.)

Thanks,
Dave

Put down tile for my fireplace hearth. The floor 'deflected' a litte
even in the short run. I was told, and found it worked, that if you
morter a cement board(I used hardbacker) down, and properly screw it
down, like every 6", and 1" from the edge, the floor became rock
solid.

Check into this, they have 1/4" and 1/2" versions. Easier than
replacing a subfloor, and a step you need if you want to lay down more
tile.

hth,

tom @
www.FindMeShelter.com