Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message

So the question is, is it worth it (energy wise) to lower the temp
during the day, when it takes so long to get back up to temp? I'm
thinking I'm buring as much gas to bring it back up than I might save
during the day.

If the time spent at the lower temperature is longer than the recovery time,
yes, you save.

The greater the temperature differential between inside and outside, the
faster the heat flows to the outside. Lowering the temperature 5 degrees
lessens the heat flow. Since there is a greater loss rate at say, 0 deg.
outside (70 degree differential) than 35 deg. (35 degree differential) it
will take longer to recover.