The Natural Philosopher

bof wrote:

In message , Dave
Phillips writes

Hello all

Quick one. I am fitting a new bathroom suite in my house this Spring
and am currently looking at different types of bath. These either fall
into plastic/fibreglass or metal, as far as I can see. I'm thinking
metal, but are there good reasons for choosing plastic, other than
weight/cost ?

I used to think I'd never get a plastic bath as they were horrible
flimsy things, the last bath I fitted ended up being a (good quality)
fibreglass one as I couldn't get a steel one that fitted, it's nice and
sturdy, doesn't flex and is much nicer to get into in the winter, you
can use limescale remover on it which (I don't think) you can do on
enamel baths. I'd go fibreglass again.

You can use scale remover on both, unless and until you chip through the
enamel.

Your experience is consistent with mine. Both are pretty good value, and
it may be a detail that forces the choice.

I have vivid childhood memories of ice inside the bathroom window, and a
teaspoon of hot water in a cast iron bath, and maybe a paraffin heater
to dry yourself by and set light to the towel on.

I hate all victoriana stuuf. If only people had to experience the
environments in which these bathrooms actually were used, they would
hate them as I do. Its a complete mockery to have a huge iromn tub
brimful of water and central heating all around set in a victorain setting.

Modern bathing experiences are one of the reasons I am glad I grew up
and ended up more affluent.