Lobster

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Lobster wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

mark wrote:

Isn't mdf basically a kind of chipboard? I thought that stuff would
warp like a bannana with a bit of moisture?

Or are we talking something else more solid?

MDF once painted is dimensionally stable since it has no grain. It
does shrink and expand a little, but it seems to be uniform - so you
may get a shrinkage crack but never a warp.

But it's definitely susceptible to permamant damage like chipboard, on
exposure to water - it swells up in the same way. (I have a window
which leaked over time, resulting in a bump in the middle of the MDF
windowboard - although it was painted, the water penetrated underneath)

Yes. That is totally true as well.

But you ca sand it, fill it and paint it again :-)

Been there, done that too!

Painte softwaood will blister teh paint in similar situations. Been
there, done that.