MSCHAEF.COM

In article ,
Chuck wrote:
That wasn't a great move! There are a set of mounting bolts for the
spring tension blade and an adjustment for the entire assembly. You
could have just backed out the bolts and adjusted it to fit!

Hmmm... I'm not sure about some of your terminology (what's a spring
tension blade?), but I can elaborate a little:

The splitter has two mounting points. The back mounting point is a tab
with a slot that is bolted to an aluminum bracket. The bracket slides onto
a metal shaft that passes through the cabinet and is bolted into the
trunion. This mounting point is highly adjustable.

The second mounting point, the front mounting point, is a tab that passes
through the throat plate and into a aluminum bracket that is mounted to
the trunion. In profile, it looks like this (you might want to view this
in a monospaced font, like Courier or Tahoma):

--- FRONT OF SAW

+ - Throat plate

| | |
V |X | - Splitter
=== +-+ +-+
| |
*| | *
*| |*
*| | *
*+----+ *
*********
^
+-- This is the aluminum bracket, it mounts to the trunion.
It has a small spring on the back side (denoted with
a '') that keeps the splitter snug in the slot.

This mounting point, the front mounting point, has two degrees of freedom.
By loosening the aluminum bracket, it's possible to slide it up/down, and
left/right. (I had to slide it left/right to keep the splitter in line
with the blade). There is no obvious way to move the bracket front/back,
other than either moving the entire trunion assembly back, or inserting
spacers to move the bracket forward.

What was happening on my saw was that this slot was about 1/8" too far
forward. The part of the splitter I denote above with an 'X' was
interfering slightly with the throat plate. (By slightly, I mean that it
was possible to insert the throat plate, but the hole in the throat plate
used to screw it in place wasn't centered with the corresponding hole in
the table. That's how I found out about this in the first place).

So, I cut off the 'X', the throat plate slid back, and I was able to fix
it to the table with the screw.

Do you still think I missed a non-destructive way to fix this? I'll be
kicking myself pretty hard, if so.

Thanks,
Mike
--