mac davis

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:42:41 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

IMO, if you have to find a reason to have a tool, you shouldn't get
it... there must be other tools that you really want..
Or, you'll plan or start a project (same thing for me, usually) and
find that you need a certain tool...

Personally, I never really had a need for a bandsaw until I found that
you could turn green wood... now that there is a demand, it's on my
list... but behind a few other things, like a good TS and a benchtop
planer..

I'm looking toward the future of my shop, and I have a 14" bandsaw on the
list. I'm trying to sell it to myself. I'm looking at a 14",
specifically, because I'm a little tired of buying the little one and then
buying the big one two years later. Maybe I should even hold out for 16"
or larger.

I'd like to do resawing, but then the only stock readily and conveniently
available to me is all 4/4. That can be resawn, but the possibilities are
limited.

I have occasion to make plane totes from time to time.

I could make bandsaw boxes.

It would make cutting up turning stock hella easier. This advantage is
mitigated by the fact that I've already figured out I can't make much of
any real interest to me on my mini sized lathe. A bandsaw would make it
easier to cut up the logs I have, but then what? I still couldn't make
anything particularly interesting.

What else are these things good for? I'm having trouble coming up with
reasons to buy one, other than "everybody needs a bandsaw." I really don't
do curvy stuff. I've had a scrollsaw for a year, and have only used it for
any serious purpose once. I couldn't find any use for small curvy stuff,
and don't see much use for big curvy stuff either. I have always liked
straight lines, sharp angles, and geometric shapes, dating to way back
before I ever tried dorking any wood.

I've about talked myself out of even keeping it on the someday list. At
least until I have room for a real lathe, money to buy a real lathe, and a
thousand bucks worth of lathe gadgetry.

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing