Andy Dingley

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 00:42:41 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Maybe I should even hold out for 16" or larger.

If you've got the space and the money and it's just a question of
"Should I?", I'd go for 16" or 18"

14" works though. It's not great for resawing, but it is useful. The
main difference with an 18" isn't that it _won't_ do something, it's
that you have to spend 10 minutes fooling with adjustments to get
everything spot-on before it will do it.

Of most of my tools, and all of my machines, the bandsaw is the one
where soon after getting it I was wishing I'd got one a lot earlier.

It doesn't replace the table saw, it replaces hand saws. I cut tenons
on it that I'd never do with a circular saw, but can do more quickly
and more accurately than by hand. Just try something like the skinny
spindles in a Morris Chair - a few dozen identical tenons, banged out
accurately in minutes ? No problem.

--
Smert' spamionam