Mike Firth

Try to imagine HOW they would be filled to the top.
In fact, the part of the tubing with the uniform hole is not all that
difficult to make with proper practice because of the way glass behaves when
it has a hole in it and is pulled.
The descriptions I have read for older methods involve pulling the
capillary tube, sealing one end, adding the reservoir end, open, pulling a
vacuum inside the whole thing, sealing the bottom. Not something I would
like to try with alcohol inside.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 01:29:18 GMT, Errol Groff
wrote:

I don't know ow they are made but I do know that you should always but
thermometers in the summer time. That you way you get a lot more
mercury for your buck!

Of course. As far as how to fill it accurately, I would imagine the whole
filling system is at a temperature at the top of the scale - fill it to
the top, and as it cools it'll shrink down. But the volumes have
to be very precise. I'd also like to know how it's drawn, but the
filling I think is the easy part.