F. George McDuffee

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 13:19:12 -0600, "R. O'Brian"
wrote:
A cylindrical cutter with multiple rows of teeth(about 5) in the shape of a
rack of the desired pitch (easily made on the lathe) will generate involute
gear teeth of good quality. There is info available on this gear cutting
method if you are interested.
Randy

========================
Thanks for the tip. I checked and some of the older machining
books [Lindsay reporints] show these cutters.

As usual, the details of use are sketchy at best.

When I make a 25 X CAD layout it appears with the smaller gears
the extra teeth on the cutter do not contact and thus the spaces
in the gear are too narrow. Do you have to make several passes
with the cutter with the gear slightly rotated and cutter
slightly displaced to get a involute curve (approximated by a
series of straight lines) and wider spaces? If so how many
passes?

GmcD