Charlie Self

Silvan asks:

I'd like to do resawing, but then the only stock readily and conveniently
available to me is all 4/4. That can be resawn, but the possibilities are
limited.

You're not looking in the right places. Blacksburg is an area with a number of
sawmills. Make your neighbors happy and stack and sticker rough lumber on
cement blocks, with old metal roofing to cover the top. But it all in 8/4
thickness and wait two years.

I have occasion to make plane totes from time to time.

There are your curves.

I could make bandsaw boxes.

Yuk.

It would make cutting up turning stock hella easier. This advantage is
mitigated by the fact that I've already figured out I can't make much of
any real interest to me on my mini sized lathe. A bandsaw would make it
easier to cut up the logs I have, but then what? I still couldn't make
anything particularly interesting.

Eventually, you will.

What else are these things good for? I'm having trouble coming up with
reasons to buy one, other than "everybody needs a bandsaw."

Pad sawing. Make a pad of lumber and cut multiple odd shaped pieces at one
time. Start doing work that requires more curves (but avoid bandsawn boxes: I
have yet to see one that doesn't look like a piece from a worm).

A bandsaw is good for cutting almost any odd or eccentric shape, not just
curves. And it does so much more safely than you can do it on a bandsaw.

Start making more really small projects so you can resaw that 4/4 stuff.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush