Patriarch

Silvan wrote in
:

I'm looking toward the future of my shop, and I have a 14" bandsaw on
the list. I'm trying to sell it to myself. I'm looking at a 14",
specifically, because I'm a little tired of buying the little one and
then buying the big one two years later. Maybe I should even hold out
for 16" or larger.

While you're holding out, why not go all the way, and hold out for a
20"+ semi-antique? Something from pre-WWII, perhaps, or who knows? I
bet the OWWM folks have an idea or three.

I'd like to do resawing, but then the only stock readily and
conveniently available to me is all 4/4. That can be resawn, but the
possibilities are limited.

Think outside the sawmill.

I have occasion to make plane totes from time to time.

Bow saw, or coping saw, or jigsaw. Not a reason to spend $500

I could make bandsaw boxes.

Every one I've seen is embarassingly ugly. Maybe it's just not my
thing.

It would make cutting up turning stock hella easier. This advantage
is mitigated by the fact that I've already figured out I can't make
much of any real interest to me on my mini sized lathe. A bandsaw
would make it easier to cut up the logs I have, but then what? I
still couldn't make anything particularly interesting.

A bowsaw, chain saw or other hand saw also works pretty well. Maybe
better on green stock.

I've about talked myself out of even keeping it on the someday list.
At least until I have room for a real lathe, money to buy a real
lathe, and a thousand bucks worth of lathe gadgetry.

I bought one (Jet 16"bs) 18 months ago, and almost sold it last month.
I would have, if the fellow had made me a real offer. I used it today
for three cuts in some still really wet Liquidamber (soft maple
species). Chucked the 6" diameter piece in the Shopsmith in lathe mode,
and turned something for the first time. Well, OK. It was a carving
mallet, rather than a piece of art. And I still have to get it dry
without cracking, spalting and/or molding. But that was as much fun as
I've had in weeks, working with wood.

The woodworking neighbor came over after work, and we visited while I
rested up from hunching over the Shopsmith (it would be nice if it were
8" higher.) Turns out, he has a bunch of turning gear he hasn't used in
several years. Chuck(s), duplicator, variable speed midi-lathe, etc.
Whe it warms up, we'll pull his out of the garage, and make us some
bowls or something. The walnut might be ready by then.

Too bad you're all the way across the country.

Patriarch